Skip to main content

My Kindergarten Class

First, let me give you the dynamics of my class.  I have 24 students.  They are between the ages of 5 and 6.   My class is 88% Hispanic = 21 students, 4% African American = 1 student, 8% Other (Asian & Indian) = 2 students.

At the beginning of the year, the majority of my students do not speak english and I do NOT speak spanish.   I bet you are wondering "How do we communicate?"  Well children that young can easily adapt.  The best time for a child to learn a second language is when they are very young.  By the end of the year, 100% of my children are bilingual.  The children that do not speak English, speaks and understand it.  The children that do not speak Spanish, are not fluent but they understand and speak a little of Spanish.  It is truly amazing.  Me as the teacher also pick up on some words.

I sit and listen to the children speak in their native tongue.  Even though I don't speak spanish I can understand their conversation.  I know when they are saying things that they are not suppose to say.   I do have bilingual children that come on the first day.  It is usually because they attended Pre-K.  Sometimes they also have 1 parent that speaks English.

Language is a BIG challenge in my job but it is a GOOD challenge.  I wish I was a fluent spanish speaker because I can't  communicate with the parents like I want to without a translator.  A lot of non-verbal communication is lost in the translation.  I am in the process of learning Spanish with Rosetta Stone but learning a 2nd language at my age is a challenge.  I can understand it, but I am not able to speak it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hair Style

I came in with a new hair style. I have Tree Braids. Here is our conversation: Kid 1 (boy) - Mrs. Reid what happened to your hair???? Kid 2 (boy) - It's a big hair now! Kid 3 (girl) - It's a big hair but it's pretty.

Egg Hunt

We started the day off with Wreck It Ralph. We had our 9-week attendance movie.  The students that have perfect attendance are entitled to a movie & snacks. Afterwards, we made egg baskets. Then it was the finale.....THE EGG HUNT (In my very excited screaming kid voice). The kids REALLY enjoyed themselves.

It's Summer Time

It's the summer time and I have once again bit off more than I can chew!  I signed up to get my Masters in Early Childhood Education.  For some reason I thought I was superwoman.  I have a new baby and I am a full-time graduate student.  It is difficult because I spend all day trying to complete my assignments and tend to my baby and my 10 year old.  I am so sorry I did this to my children.  I figured this will help the family in the long run but I am drowning.  What will I do when I start work?  I will not have time to sleep.  What have I done?